Tuesday 23 February 2021

Terrified Beginner Drummers

Recently, a lady came to see me for her first drum lesson. After we introduced ourselves, the first thing she said to me was ' I feel so nervous, I feel like I'm going to the dentist!

I was a bit taken aback by that and told her that it was meant to be fun!' But what it shows me, and what I've seen before, is that when people come to their first drum lesson, they seem a bit terrified - that I'm going to ask them to play something and they're not going to be able to play it. Well of course they can't, that's why they've come!

So, if you're toying with the idea of learning a musical instrument, then just remember this. Your tutor has no expectation about what you can, or can't do,  especially on a drum kit. So you may as well feel the fear and do it anyway. Get yourself stuck in. It will be enjoyable. It will be fun and give it a darn good go.

No comments:

Post a Comment