Wednesday 19 October 2016

GIVE IT! 'How To Bring Your Drumming To Life', eBook

eBook for New Drummers: 

GIVE IT! How To Bring Your Drumming to Life.


My new eBook GIVE IT! How To Bring Your Drumming to Life, is my first book. It was inspired to some degree by seeing the amount of drummers online and at gigs who seem to be playing 'at' the music rather than for it. They seem to be going through the (technical) motions only. I don't seem to see a lot of players who are feeling it, or who are giving of themselves. They seem to almost nonchalantly play the drums, as if it's just what drummers do.  It may just be me, but I feel that there's something lacking in their playing yet they have so much they could give to the music.

I don't mean they should be busy adding more fills or doing more 'stuff'. Music is so emotive and while playing drums may be an inherently tribal thing to do it, the ability to move and inspire the music and the musicians they're playing with and the audience listening or watching, seems to escape some. Perhaps they're just not listening to what's going on around them and are too immersed in their own world. 

I'm not trying to tar all drummers with the same brush. Of course there are great drummers out there whom we love and follow and respect for what they bring to the music. I don't mean everyone.  But I just think it's a shame that some drummers forgo feel, groove and emotion and empathy for the music, for technical skills ability and agility, which of course we do need when we're playing. We need both. We need to play what's required technically but also play it in a way that best suits the song, the music. We need to play it from our heart and soul.

The book was also inspired by my over fifteen years experience as a drum educator. I love teaching drums! I love to share my decades of real touring and recording experience plus my knowledge and skills with my aspiring students. No student leaves my studio thinking only about the technical aspect of drumming, important as that is. They know that they need to put their heart and soul into every beat, every song they learn and play. They know that even though we all pretty much learn the same stuff to get started, they are unique individuals who will bring their own creative approach and style to their drumming. No two drummers are the same and they will never play like you or me or the next student or the next drummer.

Hopefully, the book will inspire you to be aware of what goes on when you're the drummer in a band. The things to consider and listen out for and watch out for when they're playing. If, from this book, one new drummer takes a closer look at themselves and plays for the music, with more dynamics, energy, empathy and power, then the book has done its job.

I hope you enjoy it . It's available from my website at: GIVE IT! How to Bring Your Drumming to Life and from Amazon com




No comments:

Post a Comment